We live in a fast-paced world and it seems to get more hectic with each passing day. This makes it hard to find the time to sit down, relax, and enjoy something both calming and mind at the same time. Nevertheless, we should make pursuing quality time a top priority in our lives – not just occasionally, but on a regular basis.
Now think of challenging board games that offer the opportunity of a mind-grappling contest with our opponent. Picture the scene as we fast track back in time to the days of the Wild West. That’s right, the very same games were top of the popularity rankings back then, and they continue to grab our attention today.
Let’s expand that thought and talk about three challenging board games that have made a comeback and attracted the interest of young and old alike. This is good news because it is a move towards socializing, which is quite the opposite of the social disorders that arrived along with the ubiquitous cellphone.
Fun Board Games & Strategy
1) Backgammon – Backgammon is one of the oldest challenging board games ever known, with its origins dating back more than 5,000 years – move over google! Over time, thousands of game strategies have evolved and still keep coming. Our Backgammon board game comes in a variety of different styles and will be sure to leave a lasting impression on your guests.
Create the best backgammon strategy and you will have an endless amount of wins. If you want to know more about beavers, automatic doubles, and the odd-sounding Jacoby rule, look no further than the internet.
2) Chess – Three good tips to beat your opponent in a luxury game of chess:
- Have a series of set opening moves in mind before you start, and commence the attack rapidly
- A winning game plan places your king, rooks, and pawns in defensive formation; use your bishops and knights to attack, with your queen ready to pounce
- Just like in soccer, whoever controls the center of the chess board holds the trump card
3) Poker – Did you know that as one of the most challenging board games, statisticians have tracked some interesting poker trends:
- The probability of flopping a set is only 7.5 to 1
- The chances of making a flush on the flop are rare
- Suited cards only increase your winning odds by 2.5 percent
- Your unpaired hole cards can pair up on the board 33 percent of the time
- You could be dealt a pocket pair 1 / 17 hands – that’s 6% of the time
Our Poker set comes in a beautiful setup with everything you need to play!
Terms and Expressions from Challenging Board Games
For as long as people have played poker, facial expressions have changed to the point of revealing nothing. A bad poker player will give much away with their excited response to receiving a great or awful card. This gave rise to the term being poker-faced, which means not showing what you are feeling or thinking by way of facial expression.
The en passant (French: “in passing”) capture maneuver was added to chess rules in the 1600s. This classic capture movement in chess occurs when a player moves a pawn two squares forward from its original starting position and an opposing pawn captures it as if it had only moved one square.
These challenging board games are meant to be played at gatherings! Remember to make time with friends and family, while also making memories through games.